New PC help
New PC help
[Back to Index]
Thread Tags
Primary: [General Discussion]
Secondary: None

Techy friends. I need some help.
I've been rather out of the game when it comes to computer hardware and my current desktop was built in late 2011 so I'm not sure it will be up to the task of some casual wow.
(i5 2500 and Radeon HD6870)

I'm looking at getting a new desktop or hopefully a laptop for the extra portability.
My options are:
Desktops
i5, with GTX 1060 3gb $1100
AMD 7 1700x, RX580 8gb $1200

laptops
AMD FX 9830, RX 560 (bonus 256gb ssd) $950
i7, 1050Ti, $1200
i7, 1050Ti (bonus 128gb ssd) $1350

None of the desktops have an SSD drive which isn't the end of the world I could always install one I have already, and they lack the portability. But you get more bang for your buck I suppose.

The laptops, I don't know much about the AMD but it seems like an ok deal if it will play some casual games/WoW and some general browsing.
Not sure if it's worth the extra $250 for the i7 and 1050Ti.

Thoughts?
(Prices are in Canadian & inc taxes)
For casual WoW, each graphics card can run it just fine. You won't be playing it on max settings, but probably around the 6 or 7 out of 10 mark that WoW uses in-game.

WoW is more Core Processing Unit intensive than Graphics Processing Unit intensive, from what I've heard, and unfortunately I haven't been keeping up with modern CPU's so I won't be able to help you there. Make sure that what you're getting has a decent amount of memory; 8 GB should be a starting point, more than 16 GB might be unnecessary.

Of course, an SSD is awesome for booting up a computer and can come in handy with load times / pop-ins for large scale games (MMO's, Survival/Adventure games, etc.)

Personally, I like the ability to upgrade a desktop, especially when it comes to a hard drive (they don't last forever).

Ultimately each option you've presented is viable, just check how much memory each is working with and choose what makes you happy / fits your lifestyle.
Thanks Shroud.

I might just cheap out and try upgrading my video card first before diving into a new PC. But new things are so shiny. lol

It'll be nice to pop back into the game again.

Quote by Nehelenia
Thanks Shroud.

I might just cheap out and try upgrading my video card first before diving into a new PC. But new things are so shiny. lol

It'll be nice to pop back into the game again.

Yeah. Try upgrading the video card and, if possible, upgrade the WoW drive to an SSD. 16GB ram is a fair target as well.

[Back to Index]
93 Unique Members
319 Characters (alts included)
21 Level 110 characters
0 Posts in 24 hours
93 Unique Members
319 Characters (alts included)
21 Level 110 characters
0 Posts in 24 hours